The East Brighton area is a busy and vibrant part of our city. It is also one of the poorest parts, made up of areas with multiple indices of deprivation including high rates of child poverty. While the area faces many challenges, there is a growing network of community organisations and residents with a strong sense of pride and community spirit working together to make things better.
At East Brighton Trust, we work in the heart of East Brighton to make a positive difference to those who live here. Through our range of grants schemes we help fund events and activities across the area. We have funded all sorts of things including local festivals, community gardens and youth clubs plus dance troupes, art classes, counselling services and sports teams.
We are currently looking for new directors to help us steer the organisation through the next stages of our strategy and beyond, shaping the future for people in the area.
We are seeking dedicated people who have spare time and the enthusiasm and energy to make a real difference in East Brighton.
- Directors are expected to attend 6 board meetings per year (each with a duration of 2 hours on average) as well as other meetings of the grants panel and business committee as appropriate (usually 3 per year).
- In addition to meeting attendance, directors are expected to act as an ambassador for East Brighton Trust and can be expected to carry out various EBT-related activities and work. This may vary greatly each month but may roughly equate to 2 hours per week on average. This may include but is not restricted to attending local meetings, visiting funded projects, sharing feedback to the rest of the board (may be written or verbal). Directors are welcome to suggest ideas of how their time as director might be best used.
We are looking for people who have:
- A commitment to the organisation and the work we do
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Strategic vision
- Good, independent judgment
- An ability to think creatively
- A willingness to speak their mind
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of directorship
- An ability to work effectively as member of a team and to take decisions for the good of people in East Brighton
- An awareness of challenges in the area or keen to engage and learn more
- A commitment to a consistent level of involvement and time commitment during their term of office
- A commitment to developing effective partnerships with other organisations in the area.
We want our board to be representative of the people who live in East Brighton and are committed to achieving greater diversity. We especially welcome applications from people of diverse backgrounds and experiences as regards race, age, gender, religion, disability or sexuality.
We are particularly looking for people with experience and expertise in:
- Property development
- Business development
- And people from the Whitehawk area
All Board Director positions are voluntary; however reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred fulfilling the duties of the role are reimbursed in line with our Expenses Policy
How to apply
To express an interest, please send an email to [email protected] with up to 300 words by way of introduction. Tell us a bit about yourself and why you would be interested in becoming a director of East Brighton Trust. We will then arrange an informal discussion with you. If you know of someone who is looking for a new challenge and wants to make a difference, please let them know we’re seeking directors and direct them to our website.
Deadline for expressions of interest: Friday 28th February